One of the four essential elements for making any network fully functional is an emphasis on adult learning. This engages participants through appropriate activities and reflection. It is learner-oriented rather than teacher-oriented.
Consider these principles of adult learning:
- Adult learning is based on recognized need.
- Adult learning takes place in a safe environment with healthy relationships.
- Adult learning involves proper sequence and reinforcement.
- Adult learning involves practice and reflection.
- Adult learning allows learners to make decisions and control the process. Participants take responsibility for implementation.
- Adult learning allows for the expression of facts, ideas and feelings.
- Adult learners need to see the immediate usefulness of new ideas.
- Adult learning often involves team work.
- Adult learning actively engages the learner.
- Adult learning requires accountability.
When and where have you experienced an effective adult learning process? How have you utilized adult learning principles as a leader? How could you adapt your networks to take full advantage of adult learning?