Every day you face a multitude of decisions that have to be made and problems that need to be solved. These can range from simple issues such as deciding what you are going to have for lunch, or working out how to use the features on your new mobile phone, through to complex matters with potentially serious consequences.
Regardless of the issue, there are a number of requirements that are common. These include the need to:
- Accurately identify the issue or problem
- select and apply tools to generate possible solutions
- make a decision and/or take action
- The ability to take these steps effectively requires seven key skills, which are:
- Critical thinking
- Data gathering & processing
- Tool selection
- Lateral conceptualisation
- Weighing alternatives
- Risk assessment
- Perception & judgement
Although primarily intended as a self-assessment instrument, the questions have been worded so this tool can also be used in a 180 or 360-degree feedback process where several respondents complete a profile on the same person.