I recently spoke at Life Pacific College to a class on the personal development of the leader through coaching. I’ve done a lot of teaching on how to coach, but I think this was the first time I’ve done a focused presentation on how to get the most out of being coached.
It was fascinating to look at the process from the perspective of the person being coached. I reflected on my own experiences of being coached. When was it most transformative? What maximized my development?
What are some of the things that make a difference and allow people to get the most out of coaching?
- Taking the time to reflect honestly on your own life
- Coming into the sessions prepared
- Making sure you have people in your life who can call you by your first name and blow whistle when you go out of bounds
- Taking time to measure what you’re accomplishing
- Focusing in on just one thing per session
- Willingness to do the work required