Instead of the tangible things we usually thing of that make up a church– a full-time pastor, a large group meeting space, music and a sermon at a Sunday morning gathering, legal incorporation– let’s think less tangibly.
Let’s think along the lines of whether we are serving our purpose. In what ways are we doing what a church is supposed to do? Be minimalist– what’s the fewest number of things you need to be a church?
Articulate your definitions of what church is. Use these 6 questions to flesh out your thinking:
- How will we develop authentic relationships?
- How will we engage in sacrificial service?
- How will we foster spiritual transformation?
- How will we gather for worship and prayer?
- How will we encourage gift-based ministry?
- How will we make more and better disciples?